Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Can I do multiple cardio sessions in one day?

On my days off, I normally drink one scoop of whey/casein protein powder with water before I do one hour on the Stair Master at the gym using the regular "fat burn" program (which I burn 530 calories upon finishing) right after waking up and fasting for 8+ hours sleeping. There are only 12 calories of carbs and 25 calories of fat per scoop, so I know it's like nothing to burn that off during my cardio session while the whey/casein mix helps to preserve my muscle fibers/tissue. As one does cardio, I've read that the order of burn goes from glycogen stores...to fat stores...to protein/muscle stores. If I already have 26g of protein in my system, will the order just skip burning muscle and just use the protein I just consumed/digested prior? Also, can I do another cardio session 3 hours later if I ate no carbs but just consumed another scoop of whey/casein with water before the next cardio session? Thanks in advance.
Answer:
Assuming you eat something else throughout the day, I don't think you have to worry about your muscles being consumed. This usually only happens when a person is severely undernourished and most all of their fat has been burned up. So if you eat a sufficient diet and have more than 3% body fat, you can do cardio until you are blue in the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment