Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Can I diet and exersize to stay the same weight throughout my pregnancy?

Ok, first off, I'm 26 years old and I'm a little over 50 pounds overweight. I have gained all my weight from my previous 2 pregnancies, and I'm bound and determined to lose this weight. However, I am in my second trimester of my third pregnancy. My question is, is it ok to diet and stay the SAME weight throughout my entire pregnancy (though healthy eating and exersizing... i'm aware that I have to eat 300 calories more for the baby.) to lose weight so I'm 20 pounds lighter after the baby ? Is this even possible to do and still remain healthy? Thanks!~~Please refrain from being rude ~~
Answer:
This is a question you need to ask your doctor. It's never recommended to try to lose weight while pregnant, because the baby needs a lot of nutrients that he/she can only get from you. If you have been exercising before and during this pregnancy, it is usually fine to continue. Just because you're pregnant does not mean you have to stop your routine. Just go easy on anything that jolts you or your joints, since the extra fluids build up around them. A treadmill or stationary bike would be great, you don't want anything that pulls on the abdominal muscles too much. You should expect and be encouraged to put on about 15 pounds during your complete pregnancy. But as I said, before you start reducing your calories or changing your diet or fitness routine, consult with your doctor. He/she will be the only one who knows your situation well enough to advise you. Best of luck!
you should talk this over with the Dr so you know whether or not the baby will be deprived =good luck
this is not the time! but do eat healthy, lots of beans %26 greens, worry about baby fat after the baby!
Not at all a good idea to diet while pregnant and you aren't supposed to do any exercises that you weren't already doing before you got pregnant! Wait til after you have the baby and then go for it!
I don't think it's a good idea. or healthy for the baby. In actuality you need an extra 500 calories a day for the baby. While some exceriszes are OK, I would try yoga. Yea your not really buring any calories, but you really shouldn't be while your bodys busy making a baby. The yoga will however help keep you body adjusted to some excersizes and it will help with maintaining your weight. Goodluck though!
As long as you are eating healthfully and getting all the nutrients for the baby and YOURSELF (a healthy baby also needs a healthy mama) and get an ok from the doctor for moderate exercise you should be able to maintain your weight. Keep your OB informed. Best wishes.
Concentrate yuour weight loss after you quit breast feeding. It is ok to engage in a walking or pilates program with the agreement of your OB, but if you are in your last tri, its probably not a good time to get aggressive. Better to avoid extra carbs, eat more greens and visualize a healthy baby. Watch the blood pressure, use vit and mineral supplements. Ask your OB what a safe pulse is during exercise. Then hit er hard one youve healed up!
I'm a mother of one, a new mother at that, I know staying the same weight cannot happen!! I tried very hard to accomplish that! The reason you cannot stay the same is due to the Amnio fluid, your breast, the baby, and a few other things weight different when you're pregnant. The best way to lose the weight after pregnancy is breast feeding. I lost the majority of mine by doing so. There are many great things that come from breast feeding like, it helps shrink your uterus, you burn about 300 calories a day from my knowledge, and it keeps your baby healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment